Figure 1 - View showing roombox built from 1/16" basswood, the assembled platform steps, and two of the walls.
Figure 2 - The two Palladian windows on the left sidewall.
Figure 3 -- Platform assembled -- The platform was marbleized.
Paints in the desired colors (in this case I used Ivory, Mauve, Very Light Gray, Darker Gray, Gold, and Black)
18/0 script paintbrush
Fine steel wool
The marbleizing was done by:
Figure 4 - We talked about bracing on the back of the wall. Here the bracing is held in place with hair clips, while it dries. Look closely and you can see the mullions in the Palladian windows are done with white button thread glued on from the back!
Figure 5 - Here I have made the template for the back corner. You can see the lines I drew before removing it. It gives me a reference line where to glue my wall. Note: The wall goes on that line, not the braces ... but the bracing will hold firmly and give it body.
Figure 6 - Before putting in the scene I chose for the background, I painted the area that may show on the brace and floor white and sprinkled “snow” on them after gluing in the picture. Then I glued my background scene in place. It is 8x10 calendar scenes reduced to 12%. Took two of them – one for back wall, and cut two to fit together for the (longer) sidewall.
Figure 7 -- Here you see the platform unit ready to be glued on to the roombox. Notice that the left sidewall, back platform wall, and the dining area dividing wall are in place. So are the railings and the drapes and rods.
The links below are to be used ONLY if you are EXPERIENCING DIFFICULTIES with the web site’s frames.
Last revised: December 2004